Trump renames ban on Muslim immigrants, but removes Iraq from list

LATEST NEWS

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Following a setback in the courts last month, President Donald Trump issued a modified version of the ban on immigrants from mostly Muslim countries on Monday but eliminated Iraq from the measure that will take effect on March 16 And was already rejected by the immigrant community.

In a conference call with journalists, officials from the National Security, Justice and State departments explained that Trump's new executive order, which modifies and replaces that of January 27, maintains a 90-day ban on immigrants Iran, Libya, Syria, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen, and for 120 days to refugees from around the world .

The Trump government has decided to remove Iraq from the list because Iraq has launched measures to scrutinize visa applicants for travel to the United States and has strengthened its collaboration with the US in the fight against extremist Islamist militants.

"We have received strong commitments from the Iraqi government in recent weeks since the first order on an increase in collaboration with the US to share information and other related activities," said one of the officials, who requested anonymity.

As they explained, there are several differences from the first decree: it eliminates Iraq from prohibitions; Will apply to the future income of immigrants from those countries, and will not affect legal residents, people in transit, or other types of visas already approved, and people already in the US .

During the suspension, the authorities will conduct a "thorough review" and develop new requirements for the processing of immigrants and refugees, with the aim of strengthening national security, the White House said.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and National Security Secretary John Kelly said the new decree would strengthen national security. The announcement had been postponed several times in recent weeks as the Trump Administration was considering how to avoid further court litigation.

Rejection and protests

The new order will enter into force on March 16 to avoid chaos and disruptions at airports , which in January generated protests, lawsuits, and a federal court put a stop to it.

Activists from the immigrant community, Democratic leaders and civic groups said that, despite the change, a ban is still a ban.

"The new travel restriction and refugee suspension signed today is a new effort by Trump to evade a constitutional challenge. This does not fool anyone - it's the same bad politics as the previous one, "Catherine Tactaquin, executive director of the National Network for Immigrant and Refugee Rights, told the daily.

Read the entire article at: http://laopinion.com/2017/03/06/trump-retoma-veto-a-inmigrantes-musulmanes-pero-elimina-a-irak-de-lista/


Posted in